Assistant Group Leader Training
During Brave Step’s Assistant Group Leader training, we will explore what it means to be an assistant group leader and discuss best practices. This training will be a step towards becoming an assistant group leader for our evidence-based Loved Ones program.
The virtual training will take place on Saturday, March 23 from 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. ET.
The assistant group leader role is a volunteer position that supports the group leader (therapist) who is responsible for delivering the curriculum and supporting the participants’ growth. The qualifications and responsibilities for the assistant group leader role are below for your review.
- Have a personal experience of sexual violence, either as a survivor or as a loved one of a survivor OR have a BSW/MSW or be a counseling student with a desire to focus on trauma
- Pass a background check including, but not limited to, a criminal check
- Have gone through their trauma-recovery process
- Utilize and be well-versed in Brave Step’s curriculum for the psychoeducational group
- Complete the assistant group leader training
- Have a thorough technical knowledge of using Zoom software
- Conduct Zoom operations such as shared screen and starting breakout rooms.
- Distribute the materials needed by the participants, such as workbooks and props for activities.
- Assist the group leader in discussions.
- Scan and monitor participants and let the group leader know if there appears to be a problem for any of the participants’ reactions and notify group leader if additional intervention or support is necessary.
- Contact a group member offline from the Zoom meeting via phone to support the participant, if they need such support.
- Follow specific instructions for the assistant group leader found in the psychoeducational group manual.
- Make sure participants complete the required pre- and post-assessments.
While you are deciding whether you want or are ready to be an assistant group leader, here are a few things to consider:
- Are you in a safe space, both mentally and physically, in your recovery process?
- Are you comfortable sharing your story and facilitating conversations on sensitive topics?
- Do you feel you are ready to commit to helping others on their journey?
If you answered yes to all of three, please complete the volunteer application to then join us on Saturday, March 23 to learn more! Attendance is not a commitment nor an invitation to be an assistant group leader for Brave Step.