Care for Loved Ones
Welcome, Loved Ones & Allies.
At Brave Step®, we believe that educating and supporting the loved ones and allies of a survivor is critical. We offer trauma-focused care for loved ones and a supportive, understanding place to process your emotions.
Offering compassion and lending support to a survivor is complex yet necessary. Brave Step provides education, guidance, and a support network that allows loved ones a safe place to learn more about sexual violence, its impact, how to best support the survivor, and more.
As a parent, caregiver, intimate partner, friend, family member, teacher, leader and/or ally, you may be at a loss with how best to support a survivor.
The Brave Step Loved Ones psychoeducation program will teach you about the impact of sexual violence, your role as an ally, arm you with knowledge and skills, and offer support from others in similar experiences.
Choose Your Path
For an overview on program participation, policies, and guidelines, please click here.
Prepare to Learn
Each course will last six sessions approximately 1.5 hours each week or can be completed over a weekend as a retreat. The program will be offered in-person and virtually.
- Increase in life satisfaction.
- Decrease in trauma-related symptoms or symptom occurrence
- An individual is more equipped to care following the program.
- Increase in connection with others
Records are strictly confidential except where state law requires the reporting of credible threats of violence, harm to self or others, or child or elderly abuse and neglect, or when the court orders the release of information.
Loved Ones Group Providers
Brave Step works with highly trained mental health practioners to deliver this evidence-based curriculum. Click here to get to know the current providers.
Ready to Get Started?
Starting May 10, 2023
Family and Allies of a Young Survivor – Virtual
Starting Aug. 30, 2023
Family and Friends of an Adult Survivor for Spanish Speakers – Virtual
"Hearing other’s perspectives and stories helped me feel less alone."
Family Member of an Adult Survivor
"This project is so important and addresses a problem we think is bigger than any other we have worked on over our 45 or so year careers. "
George Appenzeller, MSW, and Sarah Meadows, MSW
"That I am not alone. Others understand what I am experiencing."
"Meeting other men who are in similar situations as me was very helpful."
Additional Care Options
Brave Step offers individual therapy with an experienced trauma therapist who utilizes the most effective trauma modality – SE, IFS, EMDR, neurofeedback, and more.
Group therapy for 12 sessions led by an experienced trauma therapist that helps with resilience-building, garnering insight on one’s trauma along, breaking the silence, exploring repressed feelings, and more.
Counseling Program Details
Family members, such as parents, siblings, immediate family members, spouses or close friends of sexual abuse survivors may apply to receive services if they meet these criteria:
- Any person over 18
- Has experienced sexual trauma at any time OR is a family member or friend of someone who has experienced sexual trauma
- Is experiencing struggle in daily life
- Is capable of participating in talk therapy
- Is willing to commit to and participate in their own recovery/healing
Family members or close friends may not be accepted to participate in support group services if the person:
- Is receiving therapy services elsewhere.
- Has a severe dissociative disorder.
- Has a severe developmental or communication disorder that would prevent them from participating in talk therapy.
- Is actively abusing alcohol or drugs in a manner that would prevent them from participating in therapy.
- Demonstrates negative behavior that might harm other members of the support group or efforts of the group at large.
To learn if you qualify for Brave Step’s programs, please contact email@example.com.
As a loved one of a survivor, you deserve to lead your best life, but quality trauma care can be expensive, difficult to find, and challenging to understand what services will garner the best outcomes. Brave Step makes the process easier and allows more loved ones the opportunity to access care. A benefit of Brave Step’s program is personalized service, one that is designed to give you optimal results that are affordable and obtainable.
- Many of Brave Step’s carefully vetted therapists accept insurance. Our team works diligently to find the right fit for care and one who accepts your insurance.
- For those without insurance, Brave Step has a sliding scale that is tailored to your specific situation.
Latest In The News
As a survivor-led organization, our secret to success is understanding firsthand what it’s like and creating a place, both online and in person, where individuals are safe, understood and supported.
Changemaker Workshop: Calm Body, Quiet Mind
Changemaker Workshop: Calm Body, Quiet Mind Date: June 27, 2023 Time: 6:30 p.m. ET Location: Zoom With the demands of life and the constant hustle and bustle, how can we manage to maintain a calm body and a quiet mind? Does your mind race constantly? Is your body...
Healing Through Narrative A Trauma-Informed Storytelling Introductory Workshop Date: Saturday, June 3, 2023 Time: 1:30-4:30pm Location: 4919 Monroe Rd, Charlotte, NC 28205 Join us for an introductory workshop where you'll discover the transformative power of...
Spectrum News: Sexual assault survivor uses her voice
Spectrum News Sexual assault survivor uses her voice to inspire others