Services for Loved Ones
At Brave Step, we believe that educating and supporting the loved ones of a survivor is critical. We offer trauma-focused care for loved ones and a supportive, understanding place to process your emotions.
Offering compassion and lending support to a survivor is complex yet necessary. Brave Step provides education, guidance, and a support network that allows loved ones a safe place to learn more about sexual violence, its impact, how to best support the survivor, and more.
Brave Step offers individual therapy with an experienced trauma therapist who utilizes the most effective trauma modality – SE, IFS, EMDR, neurofeedback, and more.
Group therapy for 12 sessions led by an experienced trauma therapist that helps with resilience-building, garnering insight on one’s trauma along, breaking the silence, exploring repressed feelings, and more.
Family members, such as parents, siblings, immediate family members, spouses or close friends of sexual abuse survivors may apply to receive services if they meet these criteria:
- Any person over 18
- Has experienced sexual trauma at any time OR is a family member or friend of someone who has experienced sexual trauma
- Is experiencing struggle in daily life
- Is capable of participating in talk therapy
- Is willing to commit to and participate in their own recovery/healing
Family members or close friends may not be accepted to participate in support group services if the person:
- Is receiving therapy services elsewhere.
- Has a severe dissociative disorder.
- Has a severe developmental or communication disorder that would prevent them from participating in talk therapy.
- Is actively abusing alcohol or drugs in a manner that would prevent them from participating in therapy.
- Demonstrates negative behavior that might harm other members of the support group or efforts of the group at large.
As a loved one of a survivor, you deserve to lead your best life, but quality trauma care can be expensive, difficult to find, and challenging to understand what services will garner the best outcomes. Brave Step makes the process easier and allows more loved ones the opportunity to access care. A benefit of Brave Step’s program is personalized service, one that is designed to give you optimal results that are affordable and obtainable.
- Many of Brave Step’s carefully vetted therapists accept insurance. Our team works diligently to find the right fit for care and one who accepts your insurance.
- For those without insurance, Brave Step has a sliding scale that is tailored to your specific situation.
Changemakers will access carefully-vetted and trusted resources via our web portal, receive goal setting support, participate in training sessions, and gain the education they need to take steps toward action.
Check out Brave Step’s upcoming events and programs.
Latest In The News
As a survivor-led organization, our secret to success is understanding firsthand what it’s like and creating a place, both online and in person, where individuals are safe, understood and supported.
The Francene Marie Show caught up with Janet Ganoung, one of Charlotte, North Carolinas volunteer favorites. So many years have come and gone, but her admiration for one of our most treasured non-profits, BRAVE STEP. still remains. We are so grateful for Francene and...
Are you a survivor of sexual violence who wants to help others? Join us Aug. 21 to explore what a peer leader is and discuss best practices.
Join Us July 15 at 6 p.m.Are you the loved one of a sexual violence survivor? Join us July 15 from 6-8 p.m. to learn about the impact of sexual violence, your role as an ally, and a new program to effectively arm you with knowledge and skills, and find support from...