Thank you for visiting this page. If you are in need of emergency help, please contact 911 or call (704) 358-2800 for 24-hour emergency mental health.
Additionally, consider Brave Step’s current services if you are ready to take the brave step to speak to someone.
For Adults, Parents and Spouses
- RAINN – Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network: The nation’s largest anti-sexual assault organization. National sexual assault hotline: Call 800.656.HOPE (4673) to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area.
- Safe Helpline – Sexual Assault Support for the Department of Defense (DoD) Community 877-995-5247 and online helpline at safehelpline.org/about-dod-safe-helpline
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and www.thehotline.org
- Going Forward: Survivors to Thrivers
- Legal Support
- North Carolina Department of Justice – When bad things happen, the Attorney General’s office offers help to victims in North Carolina. The Address Confidentiality Program helps victims keep their address safe from abusers. The program gives anonymity to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking.
- North Carolina Department of Public Safety – The Office of Victim Services has a multitude of ways to support victims.
- The National Crime Victim Bar Association – The National Crime Victim Bar Association is an affiliate and program of the National Center for Victims of Crime. It was founded in April 1999, creating the nation’s first professional association of attorneys and expert witnesses dedicated to helping victims seek justice through the civil system. The National Crime Victim Bar Association continues the pioneering work of Frank Carrington and is a testament to the National Center for Victims of Crime’s long-standing commitment to civil justice for victims. Crime victims deserve compensation for the harms they have suffered, and third parties are increasingly held accountable through the civil justice system.
- Suggested Reading
- The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse, 20th Anniversary Edition Paperback by Ellen Bass (Author), Laura Davis (Author). Purchase this through Amazon Smile.
- Waking the Tiger by Peter Levine. Purchase this through Amazon Smile.
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. Purchase this through Amazon Smile.
- Help with Panic Attacks by Belleruth Naparstek. Purchase this at Amazon Smile.
- The Body Keeps The Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk. Purchase this at Amazon Smile.
For Children Under 18
- National Children’s Advocacy Center – The National Children’s Advocacy Center revolutionized the United States’ response to child sexual abuse. Since its creation in 1985, the NCAC has served as a model for the 900+ Children’s Advocacy Centers (CACs) now operating in the United States and in more than 25 countries throughout the world. Locate a CAC near you by visiting http://www.nationalcac.org/locator.html.
- Stop It Now! was founded more than 20 years ago to prevent the sexual abuse of children by mobilizing adults, families and communities to take actions that protect children before they are harmed. Stop It Now! has a wealth of information available for addressing the sexual abuse of children.
Latest In The News
As a survivor-led organization, our secret to success is understanding firsthand what it’s like and creating a place, both online and in person, where individuals are safe, understood and supported.
The Francene Marie Show caught up with Janet Ganoung, one of Charlotte, North Carolinas volunteer favorites. So many years have come and gone, but her admiration for one of our most treasured non-profits, BRAVE STEP. still remains. We are so grateful for Francene and...
Are you a survivor of sexual violence who wants to help others? Join us Aug. 21 to explore what a peer leader is and discuss best practices.
Join Us July 15 at 6 p.m.Are you the loved one of a sexual violence survivor? Join us July 15 from 6-8 p.m. to learn about the impact of sexual violence, your role as an ally, and a new program to effectively arm you with knowledge and skills, and find support from...